Sunday, February 28, 2010

Martyrs and Thieves

I am so excited that Jennifer Knapp is coming out with a new album.  I love her music, I love her lyrics.  I think the best concert I ever went to was her acoustic set at a Spirit West Coast in the late 90s.  It was insanely amazing.  I can listen to one of her cds and feel like I am having a worship service wherever I am.

Here are the lyrics to one of my favorite songs (truthfully, I think all of her songs are my favorite).  I'd link you to a video of this song if one existed online, but all I can find are covers.  Make sure to check out the new music on her site though, some samples and videos!  Excited!


Martyrs and Thieves

There's a place in the darkness that I used to cling to
It presses harsh hope against time
In the absence of martyrs there's a presence of thieves 
Who only want to rob you blind 
They steal away any sense of peace 
Though I'm a king I'm a king on my knees 
And I know they are wrong when they say I am strong 
As the darkness covers me

So turn on the light and reveal all the glory
I am not afraid 
To bare all my weakness knowing in meekness
I have a kingdom to gain 
Where there is peace and love in the light, in the light 
Oh I am not afraid 
To let Your light shine bright in my life, in my life 

There are ghosts from my past who've owned more of my soul
Than I thought I had given away
They linger in closets and under my bed
And in pictures less proudly displayed
A great fool in my life I have been
Have squandered till pallid and thin
Hung my head in shame and refused to take blame
For the darkness I know I've let win

Can you hear me?  Can you hear me? 

Well I've never been much for the baring of soul
In the presence of any man
I'd rather keep to myself all safe and secure
In the arms of a sinner I am
Could it be that my worth should depend
By the crimson stained grace on a hand
And like a lamp on a hill Lord I pray in Your will
To reveal all of You that I can

There's a place in the darkness that I used to cling to
It presses harsh hope against time...

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking the time to chat with me!