Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Bloggy voice

I'm actually a pretty chatty kind of gal, and under normal circumstances this comes out in my writing style. I was an English major in college and my writing voice tended to be described as "breezy," "chatty," and "natural." And then a weird thing happened . . . I started a blog. Mostly I was interested in keeping my family (who up and abandoned me by moving all the way across the country) up-to-date on my daughter and all of our activities. The I started sewing, and getting into the crafty online community and entering giveaways and my blog started changing . . . and so did my writing style. I have the stiffest, most formal, annoyingly factual and uninteresting blogging voice. Honestly, I have no idea how this occurred. Maybe in my head I have an idea that blogs are supposed to be a certain way, but the driest newsprint flows better sometimes than my blog writing.

I don't understand it.

It's been bothering me for awhile.

I used to love to write - I've written a pretty darn good children's book manuscript if I do say so myself . . . I'd love to post it here to prove I don't always sound as boring as I come across on this blog. But then someone might steal my clever little idea before a publisher gets around to noticing that my idea is, in fact, clever. Not that I am saying any of you are thieves . . . but you never know who is lurking around in cyberspace - a children's picture book idea thief just waiting for the brilliance that is Fitz and Lizzie! Ahem. Or not.

So I will attempt to regain my voice. The voice that runs through Fitz and Lizzie, the voice that told a pretty little story in my senior Literary Journal about Paris and a yellow sundress and a relationship between a mother and daughter, the voice that has written lyrics for songs that have been sung by the most angelic voices in my church.

I want to regain my voice.

1 comment:

  1. Cos you released a bunch of posts together this weekend, I read them in blog homepage order, not chronological. So I think it's safe to say you don't really have to worry about this, your posts this weekend, especially the first one I read just now about all the stuff you won and about joining in the giving, very chatty, very comfortable, very fun & excited & generous & gracious. In short - very YOU :D

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thanks for taking the time to chat with me!